R.I.P. Yusef Lateef 10/9/20 - 12/23/13

Multi-instrumentalist Jazz musician, Yusef Lateef passed away early this morning after battling prostate cancer. His career spanned from the late 50's until his death, as a band leader, and many collaborations with names such as; Donald Byrd, Art Farmer, & Cannonball Adderly. He was sampled in the Hip Hop world from the likes of; The Beastie Boys, Lyrics Born, Sixtoo,  & Nujabes (R.I.P.) to name a few. I'm familiar with his work from the "fusion" era (late 60's-late 70's) being that this particular era in Jazz is my personal favorite. There was no Youtube link for the track "Chandra" a subtle track that would be a prime example of the sound of Lateef that I loved so much. Chandra was sampled by Sixtoo, I believe, off his album "The Diverse Yusef Lateef" (1970) Yusef was 93 years old. Rest in peace to this musical giant!

Comments

Popular Posts